Writer on the Beach


 

Sunday, September 17, 2006
The Waste Land










Just a small taste of a masterpiece. To read the entire poem, click here.


The Waste Land
by
T. S. Elliot


I. THE BURIAL OF THE DEAD

April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.
Summer surprised us, coming over the Starnbergersee
With a shower of rain; we stopped in the colonnade,
And went on in sunlight, into the Hofgarten,
And drank coffee, and talked for an hour.
Bin gar keine Russin, stamm' aus Litauen, echt deutsch.
And when we were children, staying at the archduke's,
My cousin's, he took me out on a sled, And I was frightened. He said, Marie,
Marie, hold on tight. And down we went.
In the mountains, there you feel free.
I read, much of the night, and go south in the winter.


posted at 11:06 AM by Josie:: 0 comments: permalink


About Me


View my complete profile

 

211635d5.jpg

I'm a writer and I love romance and great literature. I don't live on the beach, but that's where my heart resides. This journal will be my restful sanctuary, a place to post favorite poems, funny pictures, and beautiful art. I won't talk about my writing here, since I have another blog for that (http://menfreya.tblog.com) This site is for the poetry of life.



~*~



1ba52810.gif

 

 

Click on the mermaid to visit my site at MySpace.com



~*~



My Books


 
"A read, and a multiple re-read! Some books just make me happy I've chosen to be a reviewer; Pacific Breeze Hotel is most definitely one of those pleasant reminders!"
Euro-Reviews


Bookcover for A Mermaid in Paradise 
"A spectacular story, Josie A. Okuly has a winner with A Mermaid in Paradise."
Ecataromance Reviews
 

90a3810d.jpg
"Okuly manages to hit all the notes of a classic Mary Stewart-type tale in her novella."
Romance Reader at Heart


ISBN: 1-920972-22-6 
"I like the book my mommy wrote."
Sean Okuly
 
 




Previously

High tide
Romeo and Juliet
One of my favorite poems
Testing, testing

Monthly
Archives

September 2006


October 2006


November 2006

Recent
Comments


Favorite Places

My Son's Website
My Other Blog
My Space
Cathie's Site
Taylor's Corner
Adventure Girl
Tumbleweed Crossing
Beth Ciotta
No Rules, Just Write
The Lost Fort
Anne Whitfield
Stacy...Sensibly Insane
Terri Molina
Toni Sue
J. Carson Black
Nalini Singh
Life...Or Something Like It
Musings of a Louisiana Liar
Telling Stories
Allie McCormack
Jordan Summers



Log-In:


©Writer on the Beach

©Design by Websong

Powered by Blogger